Hey everybody,

I think I got back on Tuesday, and I've been resting/recovering ever since then. I think I took close 600 pictures. I didn't upload all of them but I've uploaded some of them to my picasa site here. I'm trying to help my dad and my uncle figure out how to use picasa so they can upload some of theirs too. They are both over 50, it may take them a while to figure it out.

It would probably take me a week to write a blog about everything I did in Peru, seriously. But I'll try to give you guys some ideas.

Cusco, the city that used to be the capitol of the Incas, was where we stayed most of the time. It's an absolutely beautiful city filled with cathedrals, some really good restaurants and bars, and some very cool people.



We took a train from Cusco through the Andes to a town called Aquas Calientes. The train ride could quite possibly be my favorite part of the trip, it was absolutely beautiful.


Aquas Calientes is a lot smaller than cusco, but I liked it a lot more as a place to live. It was just such a neat little community. Evereone felt safe, there were little kids and dogs everwhere, just running around at all hours of the night.



Then we went to Machu Picchu, the city in the clouds. It's really cool, and the only reason the Spanish didn't destroy it is because the never found it, thank gooodness. Really, if you go to Peru, you have to see this place. Espically if you like hiking, deadly cliffs, and tourist.



Then we went back to Cusco and stayed there for about 3 days. We did a lot of gift shopping and went to a lot of Museums, Cathedrals. There are a lot of VERY talented musicians living in Cusco who play in the bars at night, which was probably my other favorite part of the trip. I also got a chance to do some hiking to the top of the "mountain" that overlooks Cusco to do some stargazing.



Then we went to Lima, the new Capitol of Peru. It's just a huge city. We got to see the Catecombs underneath the San Francisco Cathedral. I've never seen so many bones. They think there were over 28,000 people buried there. We stayed there 2 nights. On the last day we went took boat to an island that was litterally covered with sea lions. The smell was bad, but it was worth it. Me and Toby were brave enough to jump in the freezing water to go swimming with them. I dont know if it was thermal shock or seasickness, but I almost didnt make it without puking once I got back on the boat.



There's a lot more to tell, but just ceck out the rest of the picturs. In other news, grad school starts next week :) How about everyone else? What are you guys up to?

Comments (4)

Wow James, sounds like you had a blast! I am totally in love with the last picture with the fountain, way artsy! I haven't had a chance to look at the rest of the pictures yet, if you read our blog you'll be able to see why, we've been so busy!

I love your last picture by the fountain also! I want to hear about the rest of your trip...

Today I'm driving to NC to take Allison back to the airport. Next week I'm attending a seminar called "building healthy leaders."
It's through my dad's company, Leadersource, which, as the title implies, trains leaders.
Then the week after that I start grad school! I feel like I've been out of school forever. Usually when I prepare to return to school I have a suffocating feeling but this time I'm just excited. I think it's because going to school usually entails a departure from the familiarity of my Virginia life, but this time there's no distance. I have all the comforts of home AND school. School is just a welcome addition to my happy life. : )

I like Machu Picchu the best...sounds like a fun trip though, your pictures are pretty magnanimous. When are you starting grad school, James?

"We got to see the Catecombs underneath the San Francisco Cathedral. I've never seen so many bones. They think there were over 28,000 people buried there. We stayed there 2 nights"

I can't believe you slept with dead people. SCARY!

Anyway sounds pretty awesome, I'll have to check out the rest of your pictures tomorrow. Great picture from the train! As for my doings... you know working climbing and the same ole same ole!

Grad school! Whooo!

Post a Comment