Vanderbilt Interview

Posted by Jami Couch | Posted in | Posted on 10:43 AM

So, I had my interview(s) at Vanderbilt today for the Interdisciplinary Graduate Program in the Biological and Biomedical Sciences. It's a pretty cool program, you spend the first year in one big class with everyone and doing lab rotations to figure out what you want to specialize in. Then you choose an advisor and start thesis research after that, along with whatever classes are required for the particular program.

I talked to three different people. The first guy, Dr. Patton, is the director of the program. He basically gave me the details of what goes on the first year, the way the classes and rotations work and such. Then I talked to Dr. Osheroff about choosing lab rotations and such in general, and his research area specifically. His research is on DNA Topoisomerase II, which is involved in a whole bunch of DNA related functions and, apparently, is the most common target of chemotherapy drugs. Pretty interesting stuff. Finally, the assistant director, Dr. Grundy, interviewed me. Actually, that last one was the only part that really felt like a traditonal interview, with me mostly answering questions. Though I got to ask a couple, especially about what students generally find challenging about the program, especially just starting out, and stuff like that.

Overall, I think it went really well. It sounds like it's going to be tough, but rewarding. They claim that 85% of their students finish their degrees, which is excellent. So, they're going to confer with each other and let me know next week...I'm very optimistic.

Comments (2)

That sounds promising Jami! I am really happy for you, I hope their decision is in your favor. I am actually looking into grad school myself, but not until a year from this fall. I got to talking to Roger's bro-in-law and actually getting some really good information about the programs and like assistantships and whatnot. Anyhow, I really hope you get into Vandy!

That's awesome, deff. Keep us updated!

Post a Comment